Feel free to paraphrase these points to reflect your own ideas in your letter to the Prime Minister:
- The Canada Health Transfer and Canada Social Transfer will expire in 2014. I urge your government to stop making unilateral declarations and instead work cooperatively with the premiers to negotiate a new deal for these transfers.
- I urge your government to protect and strengthen these transfers because they are important to ensuring all Canadians have equal access to quality health care, education and social services. In doing so, these transfers reflect Canadian values which are important to me: fairness, equity and opportunity.
- These public services are also the foundation of a modern, competitive economy because they help ensure a healthy, educated and productive workforce.
- We can afford to significantly increase funding for these transfers. Canada doesn’t have a deficit problem; we’re in the best fiscal shape of the entire G8. We don’t have a spending problem; total government spending as a share of GDP has declined every year since 1992.
- We can afford to significantly increase funding for these transfers if your government fixes the tax fairness problem. Between 2006 and 2013, your government will have spent $220 billion on tax cuts on the richest 1% and big profitable corporations. Instead, that money should be invested in health care, education and social services which help all Canadians.
- We can afford to significantly increase funding for these transfers if your government didn’t choose to spend billions of dollars on US-style mega-prisons, fighter jets and G20 political slush funds.